About the role
As the Software Engineering Manager for the Data team, you will:
- Lead a team of Software Engineers in the development and maintenance of high-quality technology products
- Working with Product Management and fellow Software Engineering Managers, develop the long-term strategy for your team and translate it into achievable goals
- Understanding how all architectural elements of the software ecosystem work together and developing engineering and testing approaches that fit the overall strategy
- Maintain a high standard of software development with good coding, deployment and maintenance practices
- Deliver regular updates within the team and to leadership
- Foster a culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Encourage innovative ideas to the table every day, in order to find better ways of accomplishing your objectives
- As you can see, this role covers a wide range of responsibilities, but we know that our People are more than just their job description. We are a team here at Go City which means there will be plenty of opportunities to stretch your thinking, expand your knowledge and make a contribution to the wider business not reflected here.
Our current data warehouse uses Pentaho, RedShift and Tableau and we are just embarking in building out a Data Lake, looking to use the latest ideas and technologies in this space. We’re looking for engineers with experience in some or all of the following to help us build for the future:
- Data integration (Pentaho, Talend)
- Data visualisation (Tableau, Qlik, Looker, PowerBI, SuperSet)
- Analytics (Snowplow)
- Databases (Redshift, general SQL and NoSQL)
- Big data (Hadoop, Hive, HBase)
- Data streaming (Kafka, Spark, Kenesis, Flink)
- Data pipelines (Luigi, Airflow)
- Cloud infrastructure. (AWS)
- Development languages (Java, Python)
- Code and delivery management (GitHub, Jira, CircleCI)
The team is empowered to shape the product including the technology it uses to make it the best it can be. We're looking to solve problems with innovative solutions using the latest technologies to help us. We also operate at global scale, partnering with attractions all around the world meaning we offer some unique challenges for engineers.
The team will be cross-disciplinary including engineers, QA, design, and product. We believe in automation wherever possible including tests, build deployment and monitoring to eliminate tedious manual tasks - freeing up our engineers to work on the fun stuff!
Who we are looking for..
We're looking for enthusiastic engineers who love to learn and innovate, who write clean, maintainable and testable code balanced against the need to test new features quickly and iterate.
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Have strong understanding of computer science principles through education and/or experience
- Are passionate about data and have experience writing clean, maintainable & testable code
- 7+ years as a software engineer (profession/academic) across a range of technologies – including experience of data engineering, warehouses, streaming and data lakes
- 2+ years of experience as a software engineering manager building, leading and developing exceptional teams in the development of complex systems
- Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability and performance
- Proven knowledge and experience of leading agile delivery processes including setting up and maintaining CI/CD pipelines that deliver builds with a high level of test automation
- Experience in recruiting, managing and coaching Software Engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective.
- Experience in communicating and collaborating with users, teams, and senior management to understand outcomes, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Highly flexible thinker and enjoys working in rapidly changing environment
- Love learning new technologies - we're keen to embrace the latest ideas in the data space
What will we offer?
- Competitive market rate salary
- The opportunity to create and design as well as maintain
- 25 days’ holiday
- Floating bank holiday
- Enhanced parental leave
- Pension Scheme
- Time every month for personal development
- The usual sociable stuff (when restrictions allow)
- Season Ticket Loan
- Discounted global passes
Ready to apply? Send your CV to [email protected]