As one of the biggest and most diverse cities in the United States, Los Angeles is a top destination for visitors looking to explore its many wonders. The problem is, there is far too much to see and do for one trip. If you’re hoping to get some inspiration for your itinerary of the best things to do in L.A., our ultimate Los Angeles bucket list is here to help. In no particular order:
LA Bucket List 1-10
- Stroll the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Spanning 18 blocks of Hollywood Blvd and Vine St, the Walk of Fame now includes about 2,600 stars.
- Spot a celebrity. This one can, of course, be accomplished “in the wild,” but a movie star homes tour can up your chances.
- Attend a tv show taping. There are oodles of different shows produced in L.A. at any given moment so you have plenty of choices.
- Visit a big theme park. Again, lots of options here, but Six Flags Magic Mountain is a top one, as is the local Knott’s Berry Farm.
- Tour a working studio. There are few things as exciting as seeing Hollywood magic at work. Universal Studios is the most comprehensive, but Warner Bros. is excellent, too.
- Get inspired by modern art. The Broad is one of the best modern & contemporary art museums around, and it also boasts a striking honey-comb-style exterior.
- Hike the Hollywood Hills. You can get much better photos of the Hollywood sign on a hike through Griffith Park.
- Scope out the Griffith Observatory. This historic observatory is a unique L.A. treasure. You can easily make this part of your Hollywood Hills hike.
- Slide down the side of a skyscraper. OUE Skyspace LA, in the US Bank Tower, can make this moment happen for you.
- Marvel at Roman architecture. The Getty Villa is a beautiful recreation of the Villa of the Papyri at Herculaneum, a historic site from ancient Rome. Plus, gorgeous art fills the museum.
LA Bucket List 11-20
- See a real paleontological dig site. The La Brea Tar Pits contained the largest and most diverse collection of prehistoric flora and fauna. There’s a museum component there today.
- Pick up some treasures at the Rose Bowl Flea Market. This iconic local flea market is ticketed, but it’s filled with worthwhile goodies that you won’t find elsewhere.
- Get a photo with a celeb. A wax one, that is! Madame Tussauds is perfect for striking that ideal photo with your celebrity idol without bothering a real person.
- Have a drink on a haunted ship. You can tour the Queen Mary and then pop by their bar for a nice cocktail—potential ghost sightings included.
- Walk by the Venice Canals. Find some Italian inspiration in L.A. with a visit to this historic district, in the midst of an ongoing restoration project.
- Hang out with some penguins. The Aquarium of the Pacific penguin exhibit features a crawl-in space that will make you feel like you’re right in the middle of their fun.
- Check out the LA music scene. From the GRAMMY Museum to the hottest underground concert venues, there are plenty of must-do things in L.A. for music fans.
- See the world’s largest animal. The elusive and endangered blue whales are spotted off the coast of Los Angeles during the feeding season. Check out a whale watch to see them up close!
- Say hi to a black bear. The Los Angeles Zoo features these amazing American bears alongside many other favorites, from snow leopards to flamingos.
- Take a day trip. There are some easy day trips from L.A. to enjoy, from Catalina Island to Venture.