Amsterdam Castle Muiderslot
- Family-friendlyCultural & historical sitesLess crowds
What you'll do
Step back in time and explore 700 years of Dutch history at this striking medieval castle
Visit Castle Muiderslot with Go City®
- With us, there are no entry fees on the day – all you've got to do is show your pass.
- Explore this awesome 13th-century castle and its beautiful surroundings
- Grab an audio guide for some in-depth learning
- Your pass gives you access to dozens of other top attractions in the city so make sure to check them out!
Forming part of the Defence Line of Amsterdam, a UNESCO World Heritage site, the striking medieval Castle Muiderslot is a must-see for visitors to the city. It was built in the 13th Century by Count Floris V and offers plenty of awe-inspiring sights. Explore Golden Age-era rooms, see the armory, and much more, there's also an audio tour through the impressive Knight’s Hall included in your ticket. Also, don't miss the beautiful gardens which still retain the atmosphere of the 17th Century when they were created.
A Journey Through Muiderslot CastleNestled on the shores near Amsterdam, Muiderslot Castle offers a view into the Netherlands' rich history. With towers reaching into the sky and a moat surrounding the stone walls, this castle is a spectacle for history lovers. Its museum exhibits showcase medieval armor, weaponry, and other artifacts that tell a tale of life during those times.
The Gardens of Kasteel MuiderslotIf you're a fan of beautiful landscapes, the gardens at Kasteel Muiderslot are what you are looking for. These meticulously maintained gardens are divided into various sections, each representing a different period of Dutch history. Whether it's the detailed fountains or the mix of colorful flowers, visitors to the gardens will be transported to a world where nature and history join hands.
Castle Muiderslot highlights
- Enjoy this medieval castle with two different audioguides (available in 10 languages).
- Explore the armory, dungeon and medieval towers.
- Check out 17th-century decorated rooms and art.
- Twice a year, enjoy a contemporary art exhibit.
Did you know
- While out hunting with falcons in 1296, Floris V was captured by his nobles and imprisoned in his own castle. After attempting an escape he was stabbed 20 times and died.
- The Muiderslot was the official residence of P.C. Hooft in the 17th century because he was appointed as sheriff (drost) of Muiden and bailiff (baljuw) of Gooiland in 1609.
- Towards the end of the 18th century, the castle began to be used as a prison before being abandoned and derelict.
Don't miss the below at the Amsterdam Castle Muiderslot
Towers and Knights
Scale the castle's impressive towers and learn about its carefully constructed defenses from its narrow staircases to dead-end corridors. Climb 83 steps and enjoy amazing views from the rafters of the castle's highest tower, the West Tower. Discover an incredible collection of genuine suits of armor, chain mail, swords, and halberds in the wrmoury, and learn about the life and times of medieval knights and their importance to the castle's history.
The Golden Age
The 17th century is considered the Dutch Golden Age in art. Journey back in time and tour the beautifully-restored Golden Age rooms of the castle, including the living room, bedroom, the Bishop's Room, the castle kitchen, the Knight's Hall and the Prince's Room, and learn about the castle's occupants during this time, including its most famous resident, writer and poet P.C. Hooft. For almost 40 years, Hooft spent summers in the castle and invited friends and intellectuals such as Vondel, Huygens, Bredero and Maria Tesselschade Visscher to stay.
Experience Amsterdam Castle Muiderslot and many other attractions with the All Inclusive Pass.View the All Inclusive Pass
Know before you go
- Muiderslot Castle is unfortunately not accessible to wheelchair users due to the stairs and steps. However, it is possible to visit the gardens for free.
- Dogs are not permitted anywhere on the grounds, except for official assistance dogs.
- Audio guides available in ten languages.
For more information visit the Castle Muiderslot website.
Where you'll be
Herengracht 1,, null, Muiden, NL
Buy with confidence
Why choose Go City®?
Save moreOur attraction passes save you more than buying individual tickets - we guarantee it!
Experience moreOur local experts have handpicked the best attractions, tours and activities.
Always easyOne price. One pass. All the top attractions, all on your phone.
Have a 5% discount, on us!
Sign up to our newsletter and receive exclusive discounts, trip inspiration and attraction updates straight to your inbox.